Pages

Friday, September 30, 2011

Release your inner Pussycat Doll!!!!!!!


Tuesday night I started taking a Burlesque class at Miss. Pole. Some friends have said that they could NEVER do that; they would be self conscious and embarrassed. Well sometimes you have to step outside of your comfort zone and try something new. It is an exercise class too, by the way. I have to admit that at first I had hoped that one of my friends would sign up with me, but I wouldsbe mor self conscious if someone I knew was there.

I have always loved Burlesque, even before the Pussycat Dolls review was produced by Robin Antin. I wish I could have seen the Dolls live. There are many Burlesque reviews in Las Vegas too. I want to be a Pussy Cat Doll when I grow up.

The instructor Jessie is amazing! She is freaking hilarious and very informative in teaching more than the moves. She has explained to us how Burlesque is different than Lap Dancing and Pole Dancing. Burlesque is more subtle. You are teasing and alluding to the goodies, not just “Here they are! Look at my girls!” We learned how to make “Betty (Page) arms” and “Dita (von Teese) arms”.
The class is made up of all different sizes and shapes of girls. There are only two girls that would be considered skinny. Everyone was way too worried about what they were doing to watch what anyone else was doing. Surprisingly, unlike a traditional dance studio the walls were not lined with mirrors. That is okay because I don’t like to watch myself.
The favorite part for me is that I am learning something I have always been interested in and I am stepping out of my comfort zone by taking this class and possibly opening me up to the humiliation of others. One of my friends who is pretty outgoing said she could never do it. If I can do it anyone can do it. I think it is empowering to move outside of that comfortable little cozy cocoon and try something you have always wanted to do but have been afraid. I have pushed myself out of my box before. I used to be a reader at mass. At first I was very nervous about getting up in front of an entire church of people to read the word of The Lord. It got easier and easier and I became more confident, especially when people complimented me.  I was more concerned about remembering when to go up to the ambo. I have taken ballroom dance as an adult too. I may not be awesome but I love it! My Other - Mom M. decided she would sky dive when her daughter decided to do it for her 30th birthday. She did it and said it was amazing, although she would never do it again she was very happy she did it!
Sign up for Tap or Ballroom dance. Take a writing or an art class. Learn another language. Take your dream vacation.
Life is too short to sit around and dream about doing things. Get out there and let YOUR inner Pussycat or whatever out and enjoy!


0 comments: